Saturday 5 May 2012

"Don't worry, you're young... it'll happen when you stop stressing out about it..."

Oh how I hate hearing this...

I feel so distant to all my friends. At this point in their lives, none of them understand what infertility means and most of them doesn't even have the desire to have children yet. It's not their fault, I understand. This is just not something that everyone has to deal with. I am surprised, however, at the lack of knowledge of how our reproduction system works as half of my friends doesn't even know what ovulation means.

How can I expect them to even begin to feel what I have to go through, if they don't even know how the reproductive system works? Ovulation, fertilization, embryos, ovaries, sperm count, fallopian tubes, egg quality, are all like a foreign language to them. It's just too much to take in, and frankly, most of them will probably never have to learn in detail what those words mean. To them, those terms will only be forgotten vocabulary from high school biology. But to us, people dealing with infertility, each and every word have burnt a scar in our hearts.

I have spoken openly about my infertility to all my friends and everyone/anyone who is interested. I have made it my mission to educate them about what infertility is. It's certainly not an easy task. Most people will sympathize with me when I tell them the amount of needles I have to stick myself with through the IVF process, as people can relate to needles and what it feels like when it pierces through our skin.

But of course, the conversation is short-lived, as most people will reply with those dreaded words, "Don't worry, you're young, it will happen" or "Don't stress out! Take a vacation with your husband and it'll happen!" Then they start to lose interest when I try to explain and educate them about infertility. It is so frustrating to me that people just don't want to be educated on the topic. Nevertheless, it will be my mission to heighten infertility awareness as I know there are people out there willing to listen.



No comments:

Post a Comment