Monday 29 April 2013

Was it the right thing to do?


Do you ever find yourself asking this question? Maybe I'm having a moment of weakness and this is crazy talk because most women struggling with infertility would kill to be in my shoes, pregnant and waiting for the arrival of my bundle of joy. But were there ever a time you wondered if this was the right thing to do? 

Having to get fertility treatments means financial struggles, career sacrifices, marriage conflicts, and physical and emotional turmoil. And all this might not even lead to really having that family we dreamed of. At the end of it all, we're all left with a little less than what we started with in one form or another. Was it all worth it? Maybe I'm just being bitter at those people that can plan their pregnancy around their life and career. Those that can say, we're waiting until we are ready. 

I wasn't ready for all this at 26. You're not suppose to have early menopause and be close to ovarian failure at 26. Did I want children and a family of my own? Of course. Was I financially ready to go through surgeries and fertility treatment? No. Did I have a career that could support a family if my treatments succeeded? No. But did I want to be a mother more than anything in this world? Yes...

Now, 3 years later and 7 months pregnant, I am left scared to death about how we are going to be able to raise this baby. I couldn't be more thankful about the baby, but frankly, I'm scared to death. I already love him more than anything in this world but I am guilty of not being able to provide with things that I could have provided him if I were more prepared, if I never had the problems I had. How do I live with that?

For those mothers without a baby, I have a place deep in my heart for all of you. I know I lucked out. Not everybody does and I know many who did not that can still say it was worth every tear, pinch, poke, and penny. 

Yet now, I am asking myself... Was I too selfish in wanting to bring a child into this world that I was never meant to have naturally? Had I moved on in my life and moved on with my career instead of choosing to battle with infertility, life would have been so much easier. And if I had waited until I was financially ready for this battle, I could afford to give so much more to my child. Maybe I wouldn't succeed then because of my condition and age, but who knows? Would it have been the right thing to do instead?

I guess there is no good time to discover infertility. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi there! I hope you are doing well! My name is Heather and I just have a quick question about your blog that I was hoping you could answer! My email is Lifesabanquet1(at)gmail(dot)com :-)

    ReplyDelete