Thursday 13 December 2012

Early ultrasounds - A love/hate relationship

I've been trying to stay positive since my last beta. The 2 weeks plus wait for the first ultrasound was unbearable. The ultrasound was suppose to be scheduled for 7 weeks and 1 day (12/14) but I started spotting and even found a few clots on 6 weeks and 3 days, so I called my clinic and asked for an early ultrasound.

Looking back, I think the spotting was actually not really that big of a deal. It was mostly brown and mostly only when I wiped. But of course, I overreacted and really freaked out when I saw a few black blobs that looked like clots. They were just on the tissue and maybe smaller than a pea. Again, I think I really overreacted and had ZERO sleep that night. Of course, the terrible nausea and vomiting didn't help. By the way, I've been sick all day and vomiting 1-3 times a day now! I feel like I'm not allowed to complain, but I really feel terrible.

Anyway, I had the ultrasound and more blood work. We saw one little bean measuring right on track at 6 weeks 4 days with a heart rate of 111. My beta was over 60,000 and progesterone was super high at 180.

I was initially happy... until the doctor said that 111 was kind of slow for the heartbeat. She said they like to see it above 120 at this point and I should come back in a week to see how things are. Sigh...

I played Dr. Google when I got home (of course) and read a lot of varying information. Some say between 90-110 for week 6-7, some say above 120, some say above 100. So what does this all mean??? I even read a study that said a heartbeat of 111 at 6.3-7 weeks is considered borderline and is associated with a 17% of miscarriage. Yikes...

I thought I can finally breath after all this worrying. I vowed to try to be normal again after seeing a heartbeat but I never saw this coming... I should have waited until I was 7 weeks! Seeing the lovely flicker of my baby's heart was precious but I'm so afraid that this will all go downhill...

I guess I asked for it right? ugh...

No comments:

Post a Comment